Forward Scholars Tutoring Program for Milwaukee Public Schools
Why volunteer as a tutor with Forward Scholars?
- Our Students Need You. Pandemic-induced learning loss and
isolation has increased the need for 1:1 intervention. The ability to read
by the end of 3rd grade is critical to a child’s success in school and life.
- Make an Impact. We are using a well-researched model that
has proven successful in other large urban school districts and which
produced incredible results last school year.
- Support for Tutors. You will be well-supported with training,
individualized lesson plans and materials for every session, and on-site
- Where: Tutoring takes place in a “learning lab” at various schools,
which is staffed by a Forward Scholars Site Coordinator (a highly qualified
- When: During the school day, twice a week, for 1 hour each time
(mid-September through late May).
- Students: Kindergarten - 3rd graders in Milwaukee Public Schools
who are not yet meeting grade-level expectations in reading and have
- Volunteer tutors will receive training and ongoing support and coaching from the Site Coordinator.
- Prior teaching or tutoring experience is helpful but NOT necessary.
- There will be substitute tutors for pre-planned times when volunteer tutors are traveling/unavailable.
Recommended for volunteers 55 and older
(Milwaukee County only at this time)